1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Register now and join us in all the fun!

What are you waiting for? How about you take a timeout from lurking and register or log-in to join Otaku Central and participate in discussions, events, contests, and much more!

Your favorite first lines

Discussion in 'Wordsville' started by Lavi, May 19, 2015.

Register on OC today!
  1. Lavi

Lavi tumblr trash Staff Member

The first line of a book is very important. Some people get turned off rather quickly so it's in the author's best interest to catch the reader's attention as soon as possible. I remember my high school english teacher telling the class the same thing.

Goodreads put together a list of 20 favorite first lines. So what are some of yours?

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is a book I haven't actually read. I just saw a picture of the first page and that's White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout: "There was a demon in McDonald's."

Ombra and Baroness Butt Bandit like this.
  2. Bob

Bob Heil ze koofka

Solid list. They had A Christmas Carol and The Hobbit.

And my all time fav... Fahrenheit 451. Come on, how beautiful is that? "It was a pleasure to burn."

I am sure Raptor Red starts with "A pair of fierce but beautiful eyes look out from the undergrowth of conifers. She is an intelligent killer..." More than a single sentence but it works.

I had to get out my book for this next one...

Martian Chronicles starts thusly "One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringing every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets."

Hell, just all of Rocket summer, a mere 4 paragraphs, could be a first line.

That is all I can really think of. Cannot remember what the 2 JP novels started with, or any old sci-fi. Just what I have on hand in my office, hahaha.

Lavi likes this.
  3. Baroness Butt Bandit

Baroness Butt Bandit Baroness Butt Bandit Colu

Lovely list. Unfortunately I can't think of any

4. Lavi

Lavi tumblr trash Staff Member

Hobbit really was a great first line. If I remember right, they incorporated it into the movie at some point right?

5. Bob

Bob Heil ze koofka

I think so. It might have been the start when we had old Bilbo and Frodo.... But it's been awhile since I saw Unexpected Journey.

6. Meandola

Meandola Witness!

One of my favourites is Dresden Files: Blood Rites

"The Building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault"

Another one I love, while not a opening line so much as an opening paragraph is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

Ombra and Lavi like this.
  7. Aloha Koala

Aloha Koala Day

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

8. Saga

Saga GFX Artist Staff Member

I love to have a good book to read, Fifty Shades of Grey is one of my favorites. Dominate amd Submissive is something... I like. I'm a Dominate. I have a relationship with my sub.

‘Why don’t you like to be touched?’ I whisper, staring up into soft gray eyes. ‘Because I’m fifty shades of fucked up, Anastasia.'"

Yes, Christian can be fucked up because of his past. I actually relate to him by so many levels.

9. Stan

Stan Super Moderator Staff Member

道可道非常道
    名可名非常名
    i.e. beginning of the Dao De Jing