1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Register now and join us in all the fun!

What are you waiting for? How about you take a timeout from lurking and register or log-in to join Otaku Central and participate in discussions, events, contests, and much more!

[Personal] What would it take to convince you God exists?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaWinter, Jul 10, 2016.

Register on OC today!
  1. DaWinter

DaWinter New Member

I am an agnostic atheist which basically means that if credible evidence of god would be presented to me, I would readily believe in said deity. But that got me thinking what would god need to do to make me believe he is god?

Like even when you observe magic tricks but can't explain the cause, you're still convinced that there is some kind of sleight of hand or illusion whose result mimics that of a miracle. The same way, I could witness water turning into wine, but I'd think it's some elaborate chemistry trick.

What about you guys? What would it take to make you absolutely sure that a super sky wizard exists?

2. Aloha Koala

Aloha Koala Day

Well I can't really answer this because I already Believe in God....SOOOO yeah.
    But for someone who does not I would say that they need to one: Simply Believe that there is something highier and greater than themselves, and that you didn't just pop up out of thin air as the "Big Bang theory" say. That you were created by a Creator whk created everything. One must believe that God is. He is. Which is confirming that God exist.

In addition I think one would need an encounter with God. They really must seek Him. If One doesn't seek you shall not find. If it ain't in a person's heart and soul to want to seek and know and love God then I see how they are having difficulties being convince.

But honestly it gonna take something REALLY bad to happen to a person for them to be convince that God exist. Whether it be catastrophic disaster or you hitting your lowest point in life.

3. DaWinter

DaWinter New Member

Well, I do believe in a super power, but i don't see the point of personifying it as "God" and worshipping it.
    And as for seeking him, I believe you're telling me to first believe and then I shall be convinced. Uptill now, I've refused to believe unless I'm convinced of something. Guess I gotta try the other way around for something supernatural.. Thanks for the reply!!

4. Demonic Predecessor

Demonic Predecessor The Abyss Calls My Name Staff Member

Well I believe in a god and goddess as I am part of the wicca/pagan faith. I have nothing against god himself in total honsety. Just sometimes I feel like people try and convert me to another sense. I am perfectly fine with my current religious choice but when people act all preachy and stuff really gets me mad. I respect all religious choices as that's how I am. Everyone sees a god in there own eyes as who they wish to be here savior. All in all the power to be empowered by a almighty being is giving everyone a positive, charasmatic and also a way to see who is who in the life of relgion

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  5. Demonic Predecessor

Demonic Predecessor The Abyss Calls My Name Staff Member

6. Tanis

Tanis MEAT IS DEAD! LONG LIVE CHEESE!

Proof.

7. Stan

Stan Super Moderator Staff Member

If there is a proof a deity exists, it would be impossible to believe in it.
    Like science. Whether or not you believe in it is not important, it occupies itself with facts.
    On the other hand, faith is something you have without any real ground. If there is proof for one's faith it becomes a truth, in which case you are either in acceptance or denial of it.
    I personally find it hypocritical how people can think God doesn't exist and at the same time believe in pure love or other abstract ideas that are equally beyond proof.

tl;dr, if you need to be convinced to have faith in something, don't even bother.

8. Tanis

Tanis MEAT IS DEAD! LONG LIVE CHEESE!

The one saying 'there is a god' needs to have something beyond the intangible to prove it.
    -It gets even worse when someone out there claims to know the 'mind' of one of the 1,000s of deities that people have alleged to exist.

Love can actually be measured.
    -Emotions are actually quantifiable, they can do brain tests now.
    -As our collective knowledge grows, the 'god of the gaps' shrinks.

The biggest problem I have with religion, besides all that murdering-bigotry-torture stuff, is that the burden of proof is pushed on the non-believer.

Only in religion is it 'acceptable', or at the very least expected, to push the burden of proof on to the other party.
    -No where else is this the norm, or socially tolerated.

Let's say I claim to have a functional Gundam and I tell you to 'take it on faith', you'd be right to demand proof and when I refuse to because 'faith', you'd have every right to believe I'm full of crap and call me out on it.

However if I say 'I know there is a god, AND I know it is a HE, AND I know he hates pork or masturbation or homosexuals or working on Saturday/Sunday...etc'.
    You're suppose to 'give me a pass', because, you know 'faith' and 'respecting religion' or whatever.
    :/

Just doesn't seem logical to me.

9. Stan

Stan Super Moderator Staff Member

Please, pinpoint where I talk about religion in my previous post.

Instead of limiting yourself to your personal crusade against whatever and missing the point of my post, try to make distinction between having faith, being religious and being fanatic. Whether or not God exists is irrelevant because faith doesn't require a reason to have it. Say, you get stomped by others every day and get proven humanity is shit, but you can still have faith humankind is good in its core. There's absolutely no reason for you to believe in it, yet you do. That's called faith.

That's your main problem with God. As you see the hypocrisy of such people, you convince yourself they are wrong and deny every possibility of their beliefs being right. Being religious has nothing to do with murdering people; human greed, cruelty and stupidity do.

No one pushes any burden on the non-believers, they take it upon themselves to find proof so they can prove the believers wrong. I've been around churches a lot and not even once was I "burdened" to prove God's existence, mostly because that's completely not the point. A believer would never say "I believe because...", he'd go "...because I believe". Faith is the only proof you need to know for yourself something is the way you believe it is. The problem comes when people get "burdened to prove others wrong". Sure, sometimes fanatics try to push you their agenda, just shrug it off and carry on. You can neither argue yourself right, nor anyone expects you to.

Note that I also disapprove of religion, but not because their beliefs are stupid, but because it's an easy way to exploit others. Clergymen throughout the years have often proven to be just your regular scumbag who coats himself religious to get benefits. No much different from a politician or a banker nowadays. Basically, religion gives power that can be abused, same as government and money.

Then there are the fanatics, who are a lost cause. I doubt I should even touch on the topic why they shouldn't be allowed power.

And as far as the existence of God is concerned, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, so neither God, nor anyone owes any kind of proof for the existence of something we can neither see, nor touch, nor our minds can grasp.

Also, comparing a material Gundam to God is like comparing an apple to a soul. I have no idea how you can make a parallel.

And don't get me started on love, I'm tired of people considering a chemical disbalance in the body to be "love".